We’ve all been there.
It’s the beginning of a technical writing project, and you have no idea where to start.
There’s a template for that!
What’s a technical writing template?
A technical writing template is a premade model for new documents. Think of a template as a form you fill out. Completely uncreative, kind of tedious, but so much easier than coming up with all the information yourself.
When you begin a project from scratch, it’s up to you to work out all the steps…which takes time.
But, if you begin a project with a template, the steps are preloaded. You just confirm they’re relevant to your project and….that saves time.
- Consist of reusable information, formats and styles that simply your work.
- Provide a consistent “look” to your company’s documentation.
- Supply the fixed elements of a process or procedure and leaves blanks for variables specific for each project.
The Technical Writer just fill in the blanks and completes the form.
Why are templates useful? Because they:
- Consolidate all your information in one central place.
- Ensure repeatable success.
- Maintain consistency across projects.
- Make your documents more readable.
Good documentation is intrinsic to a company’s success, but not everyone can do it. A well-designed template ensures clear, concise, consistent documentation in a fraction of the time. As a result, it’s going to save you money.
And docstrats can help! We work as a partner to understand your needs and goals and you reap the benefits of our 40+ years of experience and collective knowledge.
Call us at (518)432-1233 and let us know how we can help you with template design and standardization.